In 1789 Richard Hattersley founded a company in Stubbings Mill, Airworth, that manufactured bolts, nuts and other small parts for textile machinery. The same year Richard's son George Hattersley was born, who later was to become involved in the business, which was to evolve into G. Hattersley and Sons Ltd.
After Richard Hattersley's death in 1829 George took over the business. In 1834 George was asked to build a power loom that could weave worsted cloth, something that only had been done on hand looms up to this point. This was a big challenge, however George managed to make this loom and sent it off to the buyer. However, the loom was smashed up along the way by a group of revolutionary handweavers who feared for their livelihood. Fortunately, George made a replacement loom and this was sent to the customer.
G. Hattersley and Sons Ltd. developed into a rather large company during the years. They had circa 1 100 employees just before the First World War and continued to be a successful business well in to the 1960's. During this time the market plunged and many companies in the textile machinery field had to close down. So did G. Hattersley and Sons Ltd. too, closing their factory in 1984